Friday, October 30, 2009

Continuous Integration Tools

Do you need to compile and test your software on an automated basis? Which continuous integration or nightly build tool should you use?

Hudson

Why? Because it's that good. Give it a try, you won't regret it. I've used Cruise Control and then LuntBuild. I've looked at and followed BuildBot, Zutubi Pulse, AntHill, Atlassian Bamboo, Apache Continuum, CDash, and QuickBuild.

And Hudson is better. It's easy to set-up, it's easy to configure, it's deceptively powerful, there are a ton of plug-ins. I don't think I've encountered another open-source projects that does releases more frequently. It's free and open-source. It supports large clusters of slaves or agents. It's management and set-up of slaves is the best I've seen. Because it's free, you can scale up your slaves as high as you want to go.

And no, I don't work on the project. And I'm certainly not getting paid to endorse it. I just found it one day and it's that good. Check out the public instance I administer for the Opticks project.

No comments:

Post a Comment